Xbox Game Pass

Post about new game announcements, DLC, price drops.

Xbox Game Pass

Postby ZB73 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:28 am

Xbox Game Pass is a new subscription service providing access to over 100 games

windowscentral

Following the runaway success of EA Access, it seems Microsoft itself is now keen to get in on the action.

Announced via Xbox Wire today, the new Xbox Game Pass will provide subscribers with over 100 Xbox One and Xbox 360 backwards compatible games, from publishers like 2K, 505 Games, Focus Home Interactive, and more.

The Xbox Game Pass will cost $9.99 a month, and will be available to Xbox Alpha testers today for free (temporarily) with a small subset of titles to gather feedback.

"With great games from top industry publishers such as 2K, 505 Games, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, Capcom, Codemasters, Deep Silver, Focus Home Interactive, SEGA, SNK CORPORATION, THQ Nordic GmbH, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios, there's something for everyone to enjoy and you will always find something exciting to play across a variety of genres. Some of the fan-favorite titles coming to Xbox Game Pass when it launches to the broader Xbox community later this spring include Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and SoulCalibur II."

The Xbox Game Pass will provide licenses for over 100 titles in similar fashion to EA Access, giving you access to download those games as if you own them. The titles available as part of the Xbox Game Pass will rotate, however, similarly to Netflix, but it will also provide subscribers with the opportunity to unlock participating games permanently for an exclusive discount. There's no word on how steep this discount will be, but we'll jump on the Alpha ring and bring you the information as soon as we get it. The program looks set to include Windows 10 "Xbox Play Anywhere" titles as well.

The program will roll out more broadly this spring, along with the Xbox One's segment of the Windows 10 Creators Update. Xbox Live Gold subscribers will be given early access to the program before it rolls out to Xbox Live Silver members. As you might've already surmised, this implies that it won't be available as part of the Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The Xbox Game Pass might not appeal to everybody, but it's a potentially exciting option for those who play less frequently and want to spend less on fully-priced games. If you're part of the Xbox Insider Program head to the Xbox Insider Hub to join the preview.

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: ZB73
Games: 245

Re: Xbox Game Pass

Postby Dpopey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 am

would have been nice to include in gold membership but i guess they need to make money

View my Games
Dpopey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Dpopey
Playstation ID: Damo1120
Steam ID: Dpopey
Games: 313

Postby Redna1L » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:45 am

I wonder if that will cover games that you get through EA Access?
If it covered newish games (6 months to a year after release) I'd get this but if it's just trying to milk their back catelogue Ill pass.
I GAME THEREFORE I AM!

View my Games
Redna1L
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Redna1L
Playstation ID: Rednail
Steam ID: Redna1L
Games: 97

Postby ZB73 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:06 am

Won't cover games you get thru EA, won't happen....

I would think a majority of games would be old X360 ones, and more than likely Microsoft games like Forza, Gears etc...

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby MobileInfantry » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 am

Needs to be more than just first party games.

And this should really be included for Gold members. We really get f#!% all compared to PSN members.

View my Games
MobileInfantry
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: MobileInfantry
Games: 38

Postby Dpopey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am

MobileInfantry wrote:Needs to be more than just first party games.

And this should really be included for Gold members. We really get f#!% all compared to PSN members.

Really? What are the PS guys getting which is better? The monthly indie games aren't that exciting

View my Games
Dpopey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Dpopey
Playstation ID: Damo1120
Steam ID: Dpopey
Games: 313

Postby ZB73 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:02 am

End of the day, you don't need to pay for it, choice is yours, Games with GOLD will still continue but makes you wonder what will they include in the Xbox Game Pass, time will tell...

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby stowie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 am

Interested to see what is included, but struggling to even start most of the GwG that are already free so might not be for me.

View my Games
stowie
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: stowie
Games: 19

Postby Serious Ham » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

I'd imagine down the road there will be a possibility of Xbox Gold subscribers getting a discount or have it included with a small price bump in their fees ... calling it Xbox Platinum or something. There's been a lot of talk lately of people wanting Nintendo to try and do a "Netflix of videogames" but who would have thought MS would do it first? With Xbox Play Anywhere titles thrown into this too I wonder if it might mean 360 games on PC might be happening sooner than thought...

View my Games
Serious Ham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Serious Ham
Playstation ID: SeriousHam
Games: 326

Postby Mullet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 am

and a step closer to the digital only sub service that console owners have been fearing. Prepare for the nextbox to not have an optical drive and no games are actually "owned".

View my Games
Mullet
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Mullet McNugget
Playstation ID: Mulletino
Steam ID: Mulletino
Games: 106

Postby Redna1L » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Ive never put a disc in my Xbox One so for me a unit without it would suit me perfectly.
I GAME THEREFORE I AM!

View my Games
Redna1L
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Redna1L
Playstation ID: Rednail
Steam ID: Redna1L
Games: 97

Postby Grocs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:11 am

Redna1L wrote:Ive never put a disc in my Xbox One so for me a unit without it would suit me perfectly.

:iapprove:

I've read some reports that Gamestop shares dropped by 5% after this microsoft game pass annoucement. This is Microsoft's latest attempt to retain some value in 2nd hand sales of sorts. I can see it working and good on them.

View my Games
Grocs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Grocs
Playstation ID: grocs_blech
Steam ID: grocs_blech
Games: 264

Postby ZB73 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am

With the official launch of the Xbox Game Pass service only a matter of days away now, this is where Xbox owners and users of this service can discuss it's merits or otherwise.

From Wikipedia;

Xbox Game Pass is an upcoming subscription service from Microsoft for use with its Xbox One gaming console. Described as "Netflix for video games", the Xbox Game Pass will grant users access to a catalog of games from a range of publishers for a single monthly subscription price when it is officially released in the second quarter of 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Game_Pass

From Microsoft Australia;

Enjoy unlimited access to over 100 great Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles for only $10.95 per month, including fan-favourites like Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and LEGO Batman. With so many games to discover and download, your Xbox experience will never be the same.

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/games/xbox-game-pass

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby ZB73 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:34 am

Love an Xbox One game and want to own it? Interested in an add-on or Season Pass for a title you’re playing in the Xbox Game Pass catalogue? Save 20% on Xbox One game purchases and 10% on all related add-ons, but only while the base game is currently in the catalogue.

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby oooo yeah » Wed May 03, 2017 4:35 pm

The thing that worries me about this is what if I'm half way through a game and they take it out?

View my Games
oooo yeah
Life of the Party

Gamertag: oooo yeah
Games: 134

Next

Return to News