Play Fatigue

Free-for-all chat with a 2 drink minimum.

Have you ever gone off gaming for a while, perhaps even a long while?

No, always playing something.
18%
No, not really, only when travelling or when busy at work but always come back.
18%
Yes, sometimes for months if no games interest me.
65%
Yes, stopped playing for years before rediscovering gaming.
No votes
Yes, not really interested now.
No votes
[placeholder]
No votes
[placeholder]
No votes

Total votes : 17

Play Fatigue

Postby Sternhammer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Most people play a lot of games in their youth and then 'grow out of it' (or at least play a lot less via mobile games). If you're here then that ain't you.

However many of us go through periods when we don't spend much time gaming. Has this happened to you?

View my Games
Sternhammer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Sternhammer
Playstation ID: Sternhammer_SD
Steam ID: SternhammerSD
Games: 165

Re: Play Fatigue

Postby MobileInfantry » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Yep.

View my Games
MobileInfantry
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: MobileInfantry
Games: 38

Postby Serious Ham » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm

I do sometimes need a break, usually just some days away from it. But I've found my interest in some genres has taken a hammering because finding the time to play them (eg. RPGs) is so much harder to come by.

View my Games
Serious Ham
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Serious Ham
Playstation ID: SeriousHam
Games: 326

Postby Sternhammer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:01 pm

I was going to click option 4 (stopped for years) because at first thought I don't remember gaming in my late teens and 20s but thinking about it a bit more I think I've always played. As a kid it was mega-basic consoles from Tandy Electronics and even some electro-mechanical portable games. While I was at uni I bought a Sinclair ZX81 and pretty much only used it for games (really, really basic Basic games!) and since then I've always dabbled in games on every computer I could get my hands on. Wasn’t until my 30s that I got my first decent console, a Playstation with Final Fantasy VII and have pretty much always been a console gamer since.

I go through periods when I don't play more than once a week and work can take its toll but I've never really lost the itch to play.

View my Games
Sternhammer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Sternhammer
Playstation ID: Sternhammer_SD
Steam ID: SternhammerSD
Games: 165

Postby Grocs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:52 pm

If you had an option about taking a break from multiplayer gaming - then definitely yes, I have a break or spell from multiplayer.

Generally though it is only work or life that keeps me from playing. I enjoy my gaming overall.

View my Games
Grocs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Grocs
Playstation ID: grocs_blech
Steam ID: grocs_blech
Games: 264

Postby Redna1L » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Started playing Battlefield 1 when it hit the vault and after a couple of hours I was totally bored. I’ve just done this kind of game too often.

I think it will only be select open world shooters and sim racers from now on.

Thankfully with Red Dead Redemption 2, Far Cry 5 and Crackdown (maybe) on the horizon the future is looking bright. :D
I GAME THEREFORE I AM!

View my Games
Redna1L
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Redna1L
Playstation ID: Rednail
Steam ID: Redna1L
Games: 97

Postby Mister B Train » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 pm

I had a longish break when I moved to NZ. I was always a PC only gamer but had no rig when I jumped across the Tasman. But it was 97 and the N64 was a good lounge room substitute. Always a bit of catch up mode thereafter with respect to PC gaming, and while I could write a dozen boot configurations for two dozen different games back in 97, by the time I got back into it my patience was gone and I enjoyed the start'n'go functionality that consoles bring. Most of my PC gaming is on older releases or indie titles; I think the last top shelf PC game I got was Civ V.

So never a real break, took both PC and Xbox 360 with me to the UK. Has a bit of an addiction to a persistent world RPG on Neverwinter Nights for about 5 years though that I finally kicked in 2009, and moved all my multi-player to consoles for good.

Oh, had a multiplayer break through most of 2013 when I had a persistent lag spike that I finally identified as being a WD hard drive too

Edit: stroking off
Last edited by Mister B Train on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't quote me regulations. I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation's in... We kept it grey!

View my Games
Mister B Train
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Mister B Train
Games: 66

Postby Cpt Lead Magnet » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:21 pm

You ok, B? You seemed to have a stroke at the end of your post ;)
[b]Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

View my Games
Cpt Lead Magnet
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Cpt Lead Magnet
Games: 141

Postby Mister B Train » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:59 am

:angryrazz: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Cpt Lead Magnet wrote:You ok, B? You seemed to have a stroke at the end of your post ;)
Don't quote me regulations. I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation's in... We kept it grey!

View my Games
Mister B Train
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Mister B Train
Games: 66

Postby ZB73 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 am

I took a break from gaming for about 10-15 years or so, wasn't playing much in SP or MP at that time.

Sure I bought a few games that got my interest, but I was more focus on other things in life than worry about gaming :D That was during the around 90-05 times approx. I think from memory...

I guess I only really got back into it seriously during the original Xbox and PS2 days, then more so on the X360 which gave me a lot of enjoyment. Was one of only a few gamers in OZ that imported a X360 to play on before it was officially released in OZ, good times....

I do still suffer from playing fatigue from time to time, but more so only after a few days, then I get the itch to get back into it again, which is why I love Battlefield Fridays, gives me something to look forward to with awesome company to boot...

View my Games
ZB73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: ZB73
Games: 245

Postby Dpopey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 am

yeh i go through this, i have been going through it now for the last few months. and find i do every couple of years. i started gaming on my Super Nes back in the 90's i had a couple of experiences with the original Nes but i never owned one.

back then i didn't care if it was old i would go and play the nes if thats what i felt like doing even though i owned a SNES.

Dad then bought a playstation even though i begged for a N64 which i then saved up my pocket money to buy and got one from cash converters (something i wouldn't do today)

then when the next gen started he bought a ps2 as it also was a DVD player despite the fact i wanted a gamecube (which i never got and am hoping VC has it on the switch so i can play some of the games i missed)

then when the ps3/360 days came i wasn't paying $1000 so bought the cheaper 360 and haven't looked back.

but all the time through their i would get "bored" i remember i found Batman Arkham Asylum and The witcher 2 in my burnt out time and they brought me back in!

View my Games
Dpopey
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Dpopey
Playstation ID: Damo1120
Steam ID: Dpopey
Games: 313

Postby Grumpybum » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Grocs wrote:If you had an option about taking a break from multiplayer gaming - then definitely yes, I have a break or spell from multiplayer.

Generally though it is only work or life that keeps me from playing. I enjoy my gaming overall.

This is me right now.
Mister B: Expression of dislike can be clever. It can be tasteless. It can be hurtful. And it can be f#!% boring as bat shit. Oh so f#!% boring. Soooooooo boring. So, so boring.

SenTinaL: Let's get the f#!% on with the gaming and friendly banter and stop pissing about.

View my Games
Grumpybum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gamertag: Grumpybum
Playstation ID: grumpybum
Steam ID: grumpybum_au
Games: 220

Postby Jagenfox » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:58 am

Always gaming since I got my first PC.

It's just been the types of gaming that changes and whether it's on the PC, Console or Mobile gaming.

I often take breaks from multiplayer games with only a feint interest in TF2 & BF1 at the moment.

View my Games
Jagenfox
Coming Out of My Shell

Gamertag: Jagenfox
Steam ID: jagenfox
Games: 317

Return to Public Chat